Thursday 27 March 2008

Breast Cancer



Mary asked us to post a link to a site that has something to do with breast cancer/any cancer, and to tell our stories.


From 1980 to 1984 I lost 12 members of my family, all from some form of cancer or heart problems. None of them reached 60, none died of old age in their beds. I don't know what it's like to have an aging parent, and have (understandably) a fear of death and dying.


I myself have had seven operations in the space of 3 years, (4 in 2003 ),all for joint and tendon problems, and one for a slipped disc. I have high cholesterol and I am tested every six months for impending glaucoma.


So, when I turned 60 last month, it was a HUGE milestone for me. And I celebrated with my family for 2 days, thinking of all those who hadn't made it to this age.


I try to live each day to the full, and to treasure all the fun and laughter that I can. I try not to worry about my lousy genes and I applaud people like Mary who have been to the edge and come back again. Do read her blog, it's entertaining, very insightful, and makes me think.


Please click on this site every single day (as I do) to give a free mammogram to someone less fortunate than you are.


It doesn't take a minute of your time!