Sunday 20 April 2008

Warm Fuzzies

Today is the last day of my two week holiday, and it's back to school tomorrow. I woke up feeling exhausted (silly really, after this lovely rest I've just had, but purely psychological).

As I've already mentioned before, I start a new challenge in my career in two weeks time. I am taking over the Nursery class (with 26 kiddies in the morning and then another 26 kiddies in the afternoon, so 52 different kids with different needs in one single day),as the teacher is going on Maternity leave for a year. Although this is my 40th year in this profession, one that has been rewarding (not financially but in every other way), pleasing, interesting, heartbreaking, playful and successful all in equal measures, I have had the least experience with 3/4 year olds. Having basically taught everyone from 5 year olds to adults in four different countries, I have avoided these little ones, considering them just tooo young.

As 'never say never' is one of the firm mottos in my life, it is no surprise that I am embarking on a whole new experience, with keenness and anticipation and lots of extra energy needed.

Becausethis is the last term of the year, they are well trained by now and in a marvellous routine (due to the excellent Teacher and Nursery Nurse's hard work). The part that I fret about is when the new batch come in this September, hardly 3 years old, crying, messy, babies really, torn from their mothers and thrust into this huge new world. Yikes, sometimes teaching is a heavy burden to carry, an onerous responsibility and any one who tells me that teachers do nothing, and get too many holidays should come and spend just one day with me in the classroom.

That is why I shall be giving myself (and them) lots of 'warm fuzzies'.
Warm fuzzies and cold pricklies:
When I saw a counsellor about 15 years ago for my Eating Disorder (I had had anorexia nervosa and bulimia for over 20 years), he told me about 'warm fuzzies' and 'cold pricklies'.
Too many of us give ourselves (and others) 'cold pricklies'...negativity, regrets, anger, chastisement and pain.
Instead we need to give ourselves (and others) lots of 'warm fuzzies' ....positivity, encouragement,welcome, kindness, warmth and love.
He taught me to stop looking for my mother's love and acceptance in everyone I meet, but rather to give myself the motherly love and acceptance in the form of 'warm fuzzies', lots of them and as often as possible!
And I do, and it works!

So, in preparing myself for the next 12 weeks at school, I will be giving myself lots of wfs today and during this time, and I am also passing lots on to all of you!
Try it, it really works, turn your 'cold pricklies' into 'warm fuzzies'. You will benefit and so will those around you!

Nursery class here I come. Life will never be the same with me around!!! grin